Google+ Fractured Fairy Tales: Military WifeStyle
Image Map

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Military WifeStyle

Well since my URL is Confessions of a Marine Wife, I guess I should occasionally talk about the military WifeStyle.
I don't think I am the typical military wife. For several reasons.

  1.  Most wives I meet have been with their husbands since the beginning of the military life. Though I have sort of known Paul since forever we have only been together for about 7 years. He has been active duty Marine Corps for 13 years.
  2. We usually make our friends on the civilian side of the area we live in. While some of our friends are active duty military, many are civilians who work with or around the military. 
  3. We don't really participate in military life. I am not active in outside activities, like the Marine Corps Wives league or Family Readiness. Also in history we have only made am appearance at holiday parties and such. 
  4. We don't have kids.   This is a big thing, when you live on base at a Marine Corps installation. 90% of married people, especially my age (29) have at least one kid. If not three. 
  5. We, sort of, avoid military life, in certain aspects.
Currently living in Helena, Montana, that doesn't have an active duty military presence, it's really easy to live a normal, civilian life. People have no Idea I am a military wife. I can go to a restaurant, a bar, a grocery store, without being singled out because my husbands hairstyle or the Marine Corps coat I am wearing. Being really military means nothing here.

But I am. I am a Marine Corps Wife. 

I had a conversation with a Woman Marine today that really made me think. She is married to an active duty Airman, but she still sees herself as a Marine before an AirForce wife. I have known military wives in the past and while often they see themselves as Military Wives, that doesn't define who they are. But to a certain extent being a Marine Wife defines who I am. And I am very proud of it. I am a very proud wife. I love and support my husband, even though sometimes I freaking hate his job and sometimes I feel like I am under-appreciated and forgotten about, This is my life, and I am one of the few, the proud, the Marine Wives.

Being married is hard, being in a long term relationship is work. 
Being married to a man who may, at the drop of a hat, leave you for weeks or months at a time for training or to rush off to a foreign country to defend your freedom, is really fucking hard. Being married to a man, who's job requires him to move across the state, country, even world, every three years is really fucking hard. 
Where are you going to be in 2 years? 
in the same town as you are now? 
in the same state as you are now? 
how about the same country? 
I have NO IDEA where I will be living in 2 years. 
I am hoping we will be back in Japan, but who knows. 

I hope I don't sound stuck up or pretentious about it. Because I don't mean to. But My life is so different, so out of the ordinary. And sometimes it really hits me. How different my life is, and how flexible I have to be. Really I never know what's next. But that is part of the excitement. 


1 comment:

  1. In many ways I envy the life you and your husband have as a military family. After only 7 weeks of being a Marine wife myself (my Hubby broke his pelvis in 3 places at OCS), I am still not certain I could have hacked it. It takes a special kind of man and woman to do what you both do! I thank you both, but especially you because I know that the wives aren't often given the credit they deserve. It is a fun life, a worthwhile life, but it is a difficult life. Always be proud! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails