Okay. I am a first time parent and know there are common sense things that you just shouldn't let your kids do, being a new(ish) mom is no excuse.
Letting kids play with silverware is a huge no-no. I've seen the picture of the kid with the fork stuck in his face (google it, I don't want to see it again) Well...
I used to let my child play with spoons. I would let her run off and play around with her spoons in her mouth when she was done eating.
After all, it's just a spoon right?
When she fell she jammed the spoon into the roof of her mouth, and she cut a nice dent in her mouth. It stopped bleeding after a minute or two, but she wouldn't let me look in her mouth. She would nurse, so I figured that was pretty good. We ended up going to urgent care anyway because when she finally let me have a look she had a sort of pocket on the roof of her mouth and I didn't know if it was something that would need to be stitched closed. Thankfully it wasn't.
It actually started healing very quickly, Here is a picture of her mouth a day or two later as it was healing.
It was three weeks ago and she barely has a little dent in the roof of her mouth anymore.
But we learned a very important lesson that day. Spoons are not toys (anymore).
Tell me I'm not the only one who learned a hard lesson about something that was common sense.
You are absolutely not the only one! I can't recall anything because my daughter is 11 now, but I no doubt had a lot of stupid parent moments. This was a very good warning to parents though and you're awesome for writing about your experience!
ReplyDeleteCrap, Thanks for the reminder. I just grabbed the spoon from my son after reading this. Sometimes you just don't think about the little things!
ReplyDelete