Google+ Fractured Fairy Tales: My Town Monday
Image Map

Sunday, June 16, 2013

My Town Monday

Okay, I'm gonna try something new.
Trying to make the most of our last few months in Montana, I'm going to do a few of these "My Town Monday" posts each month, maybe every other week. I'll make them live Sunday night if you want to link up.

I'm going to take the opportunity to share more of Butte with you, and to perhaps help myself learn more of the area I live in.
So without further adue-

Butte, Montana
I live at the top of a hill above uptown Butte. Just above the historic district. Butte is an old mining town, and the mine is still open. Currently the mine is an open pit mine, but it used to be shaft mining. There are a dozen or so headframes scattered around uptown Butte, that are now only standing as historic landmarks. A headframe is a big metal structure above a pit mine the is used to move things (people, rocks, tools) in and out of pit mines.
Starting up by my house there is a trail that runs down the hill, it's about 3.5 miles from my house to the  BA&P railroad trail. When I talk about hiking or walking the hill, this is the trail I am talking about.

Untitled

Untitled
Heading down Main Street, I pass the first headframe on my walk

Untitled
Looking West, behind me at the first headframe I passed.

Untitled
Looking south into Butte

Untitled

Untitled
The whole trail is littered with informational placards

Untitled
panorama of the mine

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Granite Mountain Memorial

Untitled

Untitled
walking up to Mt Con headframe

Untitled
Mt Con is a mile above sea level and the mine goes a mile deep

Untitled
looking down at uptown Butte



Untitled



- Alana
Twitter-creatures-iconFacebook-creatures-icon



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails