Google+ Fractured Fairy Tales: Next time you worry about germs
Image Map

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Next time you worry about germs



did you know that when Europeans came to the Americas that roughly 9 out of every 10 people were killed. The numbers are estimated around 75 Million people inhabited the Americas (North, South & Central) and 90% of them died. Why? it wasn't all by the sword, it was mostly from sickness. Europeans brought with them many diseases like small pox, which spread rampant through early civilizations and people died in massive numbers. so why did all the Americans drop like flys and Europeans were fine, because the Europeans had been exposed and their ancestors had been exposed to these germs for thousands of years, so they had build up a bit of a resistance. The Americans had no resistance, they were not in any contact with Asia and Europe so they had not been exposed to Eurasian peoples since they crossed the Bering Strait in 20,000 BC. No common contact, no mild germ exposure, no defense.
The reason I am sharing this is, being a germaphobe only sets you up to get sicker, not exposing yourself to mild germs prevents your body from building needed antibodies that can help you fight when "the big one" comes and you get really sick.
I need to follow my own words because I am a germaphobe, I carry hand sanitizer with me, I wash my hands dozens of times a day. it's sort of sad. But after an enlightening discussion in my history class ab
out this, I have decided to not be such a spaz because a cold wont kill me, in fact I think I'm more likely to die from exhaustion considering my current schedule than I am to get a deadly flu (swine flu you stay away!)
also recent studies show that antibacterial soap can do more harm than good, causing bacterias to mutate and form more resistant strains (ever heard of MRSA)
Don't Belive Me? READ

and since it's on the internet we know it must be true, becuase the internet doesnt lie! (serious thread, needed humor)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails