Google+ Fractured Fairy Tales: Spoons Aren't Toys

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Spoons Aren't Toys

Okay. I am a first time parent and know there are common sense things that you just shouldn't let your kids do, being a new(ish) mom is no excuse. 
Letting kids play with silverware is a huge no-no. I've seen the picture of the kid with the fork stuck in his face (google it, I don't want to see it again) Well...
I used to let my child play with spoons. I would let her run off and play around with her spoons in her mouth when she was done eating.
After all, it's just a spoon right? 

One early afternoon, Evelyn had just finished her yogurt and I took her form the highchair and let her run off. I don't recall noting that she had the spoon, but it wasn't a big deal, I let her run off with the spoon all the time. So she is goofing around, playing with her toys. She climbs on her ride on Jeep, it's not that big, the seat maybe 6 inches off the floor. She loves to stand on it, so that is what she is doing, standing, and I don't notice the (metal) baby spoon is in her mouth, and she falls. Her scream startled me, she normally cries, but this was a scream. When I scooped her up there was blood pouring out of her mouth.
When she fell she jammed the spoon into the roof of her mouth, and she cut a nice dent in her mouth. It stopped bleeding after a minute or two, but she wouldn't let me look in her mouth. She would nurse, so I figured that was pretty good. We ended up going to urgent care anyway because when she finally let me have a look she had a sort of pocket on the roof of her mouth and I didn't know if it was something that would need to be stitched closed. Thankfully it wasn't. 

It actually started healing very quickly, Here is a picture of her mouth a day or two later as it was healing. 


It was three weeks ago and she barely has a little dent in the roof of her mouth anymore. 
But we learned a very important lesson that day. Spoons are not toys (anymore). 

Tell me I'm not the only one who learned a hard lesson about something that was common sense. 

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely not the only one! I can't recall anything because my daughter is 11 now, but I no doubt had a lot of stupid parent moments. This was a very good warning to parents though and you're awesome for writing about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap, Thanks for the reminder. I just grabbed the spoon from my son after reading this. Sometimes you just don't think about the little things!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails